Lake O' the Pines
Photo: Piney Woods Live
Lake O’ the Pines was created by construction of the Ferrell’s Bridge Dam on Big Cypress Bayou. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began work on the dam in January, 1955, and it was completed in December, 1959. The lake covers 18,700 acres of water. The USACE also owns and maintains 9,000 acres of land surrounding the lake. The lake is partially located in five northeast Texas counties: Harrison, Marion, Camp, Morris, and Upshur.
Although the primary purpose of the lake is flood control in the Red River Basin in northeastern Texas, Lake O’ the Pines is also a major source of municipal and industrial water for a number of nearby communities, including Longview, Jefferson, Ore City, Avinger, Hughes Springs, Lone Star and Daingerfield. The Northeast Texas Municipal Water District manages water supply at the lake.
Photo: Lake O’ the Pines Chamber of Commerce
Lake O’ the Pines also provides opportunities for recreation and wildlife conservation, and plays a significant role in the region’s economy. It is a major destination for boating, camping, fishing, hunting, and wildlife viewing. The lake, which supports a population of over-wintering bald eagles, is popular with birders.
Ferrell’s Bridge Dam is located approximately 81 miles upstream from the Red River. Below the dam, the Big Cypress follows its original course and passes through the old riverboat town of Jefferson before it is joined by Little Cypress and Black Cypress bayous en route to Caddo Lake.
To view more Lake O' the Pines photos, click here.